Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games



I went to see The Hunger Games with some girlfriends last night.  I had a great time with some great company, but I was left scratching my head.  Ummm.... I don't get it. To be honest, I haven't read the book.  I usually don't get involved in the teen genre.  I had a friend in grad school who was reading Twilight tell me she needed some "brain candy" at the end of the day.  That made a lot of sense to me, but those are not my needs.  Nope, not so much.  Unfortunately, I think my brain is already a bit on the flabby side these days.

Ahhh, but I digress.  The premise of the book seems good and promising.  But I  left the movie thinking, "so many themes to be developed, so little time..."  I really thought they all fell flat.  Deborah over at Whipstitch gives a good summary.  I felt the exact same way without knowing why.   According to her, it's because I haven't read the books.  I do plan on reading the books (someday), mostly because I want to know what the heck the movie was trying to do!

3 comments:

  1. the first book really doesn't develop the characters as much as you want either. books two and three really go into that part of it. definitely read the books - they had great themes that applies to adults as well as teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that made me laugh. I wish I could have gone with you to see it. I did read the book so I can't wait to see what they did with it. Kurt doesn't want to see it so I'm waiting to see it with my sister when we go visit. Glad you got a girl's night out even if you were not sure about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris felt the same way. I'd read the books and he had not. Watching the movie didn't inspire him to *want* to read the books, either, but I doubt he'd turn me down for another movie date ; )

    ReplyDelete